60 Years of Caring for Children
In the fertile valley that was once the personal property of Hernán Cortés resides an old, converted sugar plantation, Casa San Salvador. This site of 130 acres has served as the main facility for the NPH Mexico family since 1970. Always bustling with activity, over 430 children live, play and study in this village of Miacatlán, which is located 77 miles south of Mexico City. Casa San Salvador facilities are quite extensive and offer a village feel with cobblestone streets, boungainvillea filled archways, and a lush landscape. The Casa San Salvador campus includes a pre-school through secondary school, a chapel, dining hall, kitchen, clinic, administration buildings, and a farm with chickens, sheep, pigs as well as fruit and vegetable gardens.
An additional 140 students attend the NPH vocational high school in Cuernavaca.
Many will then go on to university in Mexico City or Monterrey. The university program boasts our largest group of higher education students in the entire NPH family-over 75 young adults are enrolled, living in student houses with their NPH peers in the university capital of Monterrey, Mexico.
Even farther north, in Matamoros, Mexico, reside more of our extended family. Cuidad de Los Niños, or City of the Children. This home received the first children in 2009 and is now home to 40 children, the majority under age 16. When youths are ready for high school, they move to our home in Cuernavaca.
Extracurricular activities are a valuable part of the pequeños’ days. Aside from an active sports program, NPH Mexico has a proud tradition of its young people’s talent as musicians, folk dancers and Tae Kwon Do athletes. At least once a year, the dance and music troupe travel abroad to the USA, performing their own Ballet Folklórico to raise funds to help support their family.
In 2011, the home began investigating and accepting children from the war-torn region of Juárez, where many children are abandoned while their parents seek a better life across the border. As of today, 28 children have entered the home and an additional 15 plan to arrive within the year 2014.
NPH Mexico is led by Rafael Bermudez, along with over 240 dedicated staff.
1954: Fr. William Wasson met the first pequeño and NPH was born
1955: Hurricane Hilda increases home to 69 boys
1959: Girls joined the family
1964: NPH built its own high school in Cuernavaca
1970: Hacienda San Salvador in Miacatlán, was purchased
1971: High school student home, Casa Buen Señor, was built
1979: Family moved to home in Miacatlán
Casa San Luis university student home opens in Monterrey
1985: English program began in Yarnell, Arizona
1989: Fr. Wasson won the Aztec Eagle award
1997: Milpillas garbage dump outreach program began
1998: Lifeteen, a Christian youth group program began
2000: Art therapy program began in Casa San Salvador
2005: First Milpillas university student graduated
2007: Casa Villa’s transitional program in Cuernavaca opened
2009: City of the Children in Matamoros opened
2014: NPH Mexico celebrates 60 years of family life!