The Volcán de Fuego erupted on June 3rd, a little over 20 kilometers from the NPH Guatemala home. Thankfully, the children, staff and volunteers of the NPH Guatemala home are safe and well, including the children and families in the NPH OneFamily program.
Communities not far from the NPH home were not as fortunate. The lives of children and families have been devastated by this natural disaster.
NPH Guatemala has seen the need and became a collection center in Parramos, receiving a variety of goods for distribution to the affected communities. NPH is distributing a range of supplies to cover essential needs of people affected by the disaster.
NPH Guatemala has defined five focus areas to take action and support children and families in the departments of Sacatepequez and Escuintla, communities that are 25 to 100 km from our main home.
1. Rescue and victim attention: Provide the rescue groups with equipment that will allow them to enter the affected areas. NPH will work in coordination with firefighters in San Andrés Itzapa and Parramos.
2. Psychological support: Work with more than 150 families living in shelters because of the disaster, give them support and help to alleviate the trauma through recreational activities and therapy sessions. NPH will coordinate this with the official shelter centers.
3. Medical support: Support around 250 people with treatment and medicines who have been affected by burns or respiratory problems. Also, work on the prevention of illnesses and epidemics that may arise because of over-crowding in the shelters. NPH will coordinate with Escuintla Hospital and CONRED.
4. Reconstruction: Help 10 families who have lost their houses. NPH will coordinate with the affected local communities.
5. Nutrition support: Help 250 people living in Escuintla shelter with food and necessary supplements.
To make this possible, we will need specific items including masks, headlamps, boots, oral serum, diapers, soap, alcohol, cans of food, bricks, concrete, gas, and more.
We invite you to offer your support and make an impact on the devastated children and families of Guatemala.
If you have any questions about this project, please contact your nearest fundraising office. Click "Sponsor Project" to give an online donation. We are very grateful for any amount you can donate.
Note: the project cost includes a 10% premium to support the general needs of NPH and its children.
© 2019 NPH